Clover trousers

Clover trousers

*Happy dance, happy dance* … I made a pair of trousers!

So, a while ago I posted about making up a few muslins for a pair of Colette Clover trousers – I’m British, sorry, I can’t call them pants – and how I got to a fit that I was happy with. I have always struggled to find trousers that fit me well so it’s definitely a sewing goal of mine to plug that wardrobe gap.

I’ve had this pair mostly sewn up for a while, but hadn’t gotten around to sorting out a waistband or inserting the zip. I decided to spend Baby Boy’s nap time trying to finish them off, and true enough, once I got started it really didn’t take that long.

I drafted my own waistband which was basically just a straight one folded in half, and tacked some petersham ribbon to the inside half for a bit of structure, rather than using the interfaced, curved, wider waistband that comes with the pattern. Personally I prefer the narrower, straight, waistband, although I can see how it might just make my lower tummy look big lol. Oh well.

I loved the pattern and the instructions and the sewalong on Colette’s blog which had loads of fitting tips. My pair turned out to have a slightly drapier, more loose fit, but I think that is because of my fabric. I used a viscose-linen blend which was surprisingly stretchy and soft, so I think it had a lot more give than the pattern was drafted for. My muslin felt suitably fitted but this fabric feels loose even after I’ve taken in the darts and seams a bit more. I like it though, they feel like a relaxed fit pair of trousers but still a slim silhouette.

Here are some more pics!:

Look out, world! Nothing can stop me now! 

– Michelle –

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.