As soon as I saw this pattern, I knew I had to make the trousers. I really loved the clean lines and rounded pegged shape to the legs – and how amazing does Mimi’s white version look?
In this linen version I’ve slightly cropped the trousers and – forgive me – I haven’t got quite the right bar and hook in my stash for the waistband, so I just secured with a couple of pins in order to take these pictures on the day that I was photographing my McCall’s 7948 sundress!
The first thing that struck me about the Cielo was its versatility. As I did my usual stalking of the hashtag before deciding whether to buy the pattern, I came across quite a few sewers who had made several versions of the Cielo – always a good sign – and had hacked it in interesting ways. On the face of it, it’s a basic woven boxy tee / shift dress, with an interesting statement sleeve variation. But if you know me, you know I love a good basic – give me a simple, classic silhouette and I am sold! So let me tell you how I got on with the Cielo top…
I know, I know.. I’m seriously late to the Kalle party. As I write this, the #kalleshirtdress hashtag features on over 5000 posts on Instagram. And they all look beautiful!
And yet, somehow, I have shied away from Kalle for the longest time. It’s one of those patterns I find myself looking at from time to time, wondering whether to go for it. My usual silhouette is fairly fitted – I don’t have a lot of oversized garments as I’m always worried about the ‘tent-like sack’ look. And yet I do like the look of perfectly proportioned RTW ‘baggy shirts’. So I gathered my courage and decided to give Kalle a chance, in a vibrant red linen. As you’ve probably guessed, I love it and I’m just kicking myself for not having made one sooner!
I’m a big fan of using patterns as many times as possible. I’m working towards building up a core set of tried and true basic patterns for which I’ve worked out all the fit adjustments, that I know I can just pick up, cut and sew. My very own Pearson and Pope Agnes Skirt pattern is definitely one of them – I’ve now got a collection of almost ten Agnes Skirts! And I now realise that I’ve had a great collarless jacket pattern sitting in my pattern stash all along! And so, I made a skirt suit…
I recently had the pleasure of having a few days off work, with nothing planned other than to relax and unwind while the kids were at school. “Relax and unwind” naturally translates to “frantically plow through all my ‘life admin’ so I can get on with sewing all the things”, and I wasted the first day flitting about between plans to sew about twenty different projects.
Unable to commit to a project, I decided to head to my local fabric store for inspiration. I was remarkably restrained, and bought three cuts of suiting (along with matching lining and zips). One of the fabrics I picked up immediately reminded me of some windowpane checked culottes I’d seen on Pinterest recently. Those culottes were made from a gorgeous grey and black windowpane, but I felt like this navy, burgundy and white check would work just as well.
This month I made Simplicity 8749 trousers for another Minerva Crafts Blogger Network* (“MCBN”) post. You can read about the project and the beautiful fabric on the MCBN website here, and I thought I’d give you a bit more detail here about my approach to fitting the trousers in this post.