Clover trousers 

*Happy dance, happy dance* … I made a pair of trousers!

So, a while ago I posted about making up a few muslins for a pair of Colette Clover trousers – I’m British, sorry, I can’t call them pants – and how I got to a fit that I was happy with. I have always struggled to find trousers that fit me well so it’s definitely a sewing goal of mine to plug that wardrobe gap.

I’ve had this pair mostly sewn up for a while, but hadn’t gotten around to sorting out a waistband or inserting the zip. I decided to spend Baby Boy’s nap time trying to finish them off, and true enough, once I got started it really didn’t take that long.

I drafted my own waistband which was basically just a straight one folded in half, and tacked some petersham ribbon to the inside half for a bit of structure, rather than using the interfaced, curved, wider waistband that comes with the pattern. Personally I prefer the narrower, straight, waistband, although I can see how it might just make my lower tummy look big lol. Oh well.

I loved the pattern and the instructions and the sewalong on Colette’s blog which had loads of fitting tips. My pair turned out to have a slightly drapier, more loose fit, but I think that is because of my fabric. I used a viscose-linen blend which was surprisingly stretchy and soft, so I think it had a lot more give than the pattern was drafted for. My muslin felt suitably fitted but this fabric feels loose even after I’ve taken in the darts and seams a bit more. I like it though, they feel like a relaxed fit pair of trousers but still a slim silhouette.

Here are some more pics!:

Look out, world! Nothing can stop me now! 

– Michelle –

Posted on 5 Comments

5 thoughts on “Clover trousers 

  1. Awesome trousers! Definitely not pants. 😉

    1. Hehe, thanks Naughty Bun 🇬🇧! Now if we could just have some sunshine I’d feel seasonally appropriate to start wearing them!

      1. Sunshine AND warmer weather, please! It’s too cold still (but you’re ahead of me).

      2. Very true! 😂

  2. […] started off with my modified Clover pattern (more detail on my muslins/fitting process and my first pair here) and went for slightly wider legs which I just traced off a pair of RTW work […]

Leave a Reply