Sew Over It Silk Cami

A couple of nights ago, Baby Boy decided not to go straight back to sleep after his 2 a.m. feed. Apparently it was play time! Long story short, by the time he fell asleep again at 3.30 I was wiiiiiide awake. So what else could I do but get out of bed and get a bit of sewing in?!

I decided to blitz through making a simple top for layering under jackets/cardigans for work and since I’d already purchased the Silk Cami pattern by Sew Over It for exactly this purpose, it was a no-brainer.

I deliberated over whether to use this fabric or a plain ivory crepe fabric from my stash, but I figured a busy pattern would help disguise any mistakes on my first attempt at this pattern and so I cut out the Ikat viscose you see before you.

The pattern was nice and straightforward, two main bodice pieces and two facings. It was my first time sewing facings and I love the finish. Speaking of finishes, the pattern is French seamed so just as pretty on the inside as outside. Even the method of attaching the shoulder straps made for a lovely neat finish!

The one thing I struggled with was sewing the slippery material. Cutting was fine, with my rotary cutter and mat, but when I went to stay stitch the pattern pieces I realised what all the fuss was about regarding sewing slippery fabrics – eek! I had purchased a walking foot because I knew at some point on my sewing journey I want to work with silks as well as leathers, so I dug it out and spent a bit of time figuring out how to attach it etc. I was underwhelmed with the result, the fabric still had a mind of its own and was all over the place as I attempted to stitch it. Since it was worse than with the standard foot, I changed them back and tried a tip from Tilly of Tilly and the Buttons and put some Scotch magic tape under my presser foot. Much better! I still had to do much more “guiding” of the fabric than I usually do (“Usually”! Pah! This is only about the third garment I’ve made!) but I got there in the end. I *think* I should be able to graduate to a silk version soon. But only once I’ve used enough of my stash to be allowed to go fabric shopping again.

Anyway, back to the pattern – I love it. I did a tiny alteration on the shoulder seams to account for my sloping shoulders/round back situation, but from there down the pattern is unaltered. I love the silhouette both loose and tucked in. It also has a lovely curved hem in the front and back (deeper/lower curve in the back) that my hemming skills just didn’t do justice to, but I hope I’ll do better on the next ones as I get more practice. 

All in all, this is a quick, easy, classic top to make that I know will look great under a suit jacket or a simple cardi, or on its own in warmer weather. I’m already planning a few more!


Posted on 4 Comments

4 thoughts on “Sew Over It Silk Cami

  1. Nice job ! I love the print . I haven’t worked with silk yet, after years of sewing. You’re very brave to try it so soon.

    1. Thanks Tai! Oh this is actually a viscose rather than silk, but the pattern is called the Silk Cami. I’m planning to work my way up to silk blouses very soon though, I’m not so scared now, and I’d stick to a nice simple cut like this one. I’m just throwing myself in and seeing what happens, with my sewing! I figure the worst case scenario is I waste some fabric, time and energy but it won’t be the end of the world 🙂

  2. Hey I love this top! Incidentally I have just over a metre of this Ikat Viscose in my stash and I’ve just got it out and cut a Merchant and Mills Camber top out of it. I will use your tips for sewing with it and hope for the best.

    1. Hi Caroline, that sounds like it will be lovely! I’d definitely recommend pre-shrinking/washing this one as my cami has shrunk slightly in the wash. Still wearable but I’ve learned my lesson! Good luck 😊

Leave a Reply